Ok, lets face it. Its winter. Its cold and its dark. Who wants a recipe for a delicious salad? Lets make our summer bodies over winter boys and girls!!!
Yes OK put those middle fingers away I am of course kidding! It’s all about the comfort food baby!
I can’t take credit for this. It is actually a slimming world friendly recipe from “Pinch of Nom” (I will link below so you can see more of their yummy recipes) . So not only is it comforting, warm and filling, its actually quite healthy too (and Syn free if you are following). Get those slow cookers out ladies and gents and follow this recipe:
- Gammon joint (all fat removed for syn free)
- 2 onions
- 3 bell peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 6-8 button mushrooms cut in half
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- chilli flakes (add to taste)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash of franks red hot sauce
- Soak the gammon joint overnight if desired
- Save half of the chopped bell peppers and put to one side
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on “high” for 6-8 hours
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking, add in the remaining peppers
- The meat should be falling apart, if not pull apart with forks, mix well and serve
I enjoy eating this either on its own in a big bowl with a nice big wedge of crust bread or over some rice. Any way is delicious.
* A little tip from me! I found the gammon was much easier to pull and fell apart better by adding it as slices rather than a joint.