This soup is something I came up with when I just really fancied a bit of a spicy soup when I was full of a cold. I make this in the soup maker but It can be done in a pan with a hand blender too.
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper (either pre roasted or fresh)
- 1 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium potato
- 2 vegetable stock cubes (chicken if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic (or 1 clove chopped)
- Chilli flakes (as much as you can handle)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Boiling water
- salt and pepper
- Peel and chop potato and carrot and add to soup maker or pan
- Chop red pepper and onion and add to soup maker or pan with the of chopped tomato
- Add boiled water to just above the ingredients or to the minimum fill line in the soup maker
- Add stock cubes, garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper
- Give it a good stir.
- If using soup maker chose “smooth” option and set to start. If using the pan bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are ready to blend, then blend to a smooth consistency.
You can add some double cream when serving to have a creamier taste or to turn down the heat if there is too much chilli in it. I do find that having chilli flakes blended in it makes it quite hot. A little bit goes a long way. Fresh coriander added after blending can also add a nice taste.